Monday, June 16, 2008

Thing #13

del.icio.us is addictive. I was planning to get Thing 13 done fast. I started looking at different tags on del.icio.us and Magnolia and next thing I knew 2 hours had gone by. I like del.icio.us better than Magnolia and Furl. Not sure why I do, but something about Magnolia seems very social rather than professional and Furl just sounds too much like hurl.
Now here is another ding-dong question from me. Does the word del.icio.us mean something? I hate in when the "in" computer crowd throws terms around that mean something and I don't know it (like VPN, for example) So does delicious mean something? WHAT IS IT?
While I'm venting...here's another thing on my mind. I am a little concerned that all this technology is addictive and can take over your whole day. I was out of town this weekend and missed the whole sad story on Tim Russert. So, I decided to look up some info using this delicious business. Like I said, 2 hours and one box of tissues later and where did the time go?
I can see how some of our less than dedicated teachers will discover all these wonderful tools available to them and they will spend more time on the computer than ever.
I can see how using this type of tagging or bookmarking can be useful for me. I can also see that once you get going with this you can see what other people have tagged to get even more info.
The possibilities are endless.
And I do know it is all about using your time wisely. You have to manage your own computer time.
Now on to Thing #14!

3 comments:

LKP said...

Hi Judy,
Yes, there are MANY things that are addictive in the Web 2.0 world!!! I hope you find some more, keep having fun playing!!!
BTW, I LOVE your Avatar --- makes me feel like summer!

Jodi Pendarvis said...

I'd like to know if del.icio.us has any special meaning, too. Is there a play on techie terminology and I just don't get it?

Yes! This all can be addictive! But remember, spending a couple of hours on something isn't necessarily a bad thing. Do you feel enriched for what you learned/discovered/experienced about Tim Russert, his life, and his death? If so, then it wasn't a waste of time.

You're right, though. We have to become good time managers. And I will testify to the fact that when you're wanting time to pass quickly, this stuff is a fantastic diversion!

VWB said...

i too was away when the Tim Russert story broke and had to catch up when I got home...and yes, I will have to buy a new box of kleenex as well...I really did admire him (as much as you can of someone you only know from TV); I have feeling we would not agree on many things, but his stories always amused me and his love of his family always moved me. I just don't know how I will be able to handle the upcoming election without his wit and wisdom...I know it's crazy, but ....